Tuesday, December 23, 2014

On the Eve of Mercy-- A Poem


On the Eve of Mercy
Before the coming of light
There must be a darkening.

I stand at the banks of twilight
And gaze at my new-starry reflection
While in the waters

The streaked reflection of what was
From red to gray departs, abandoning,
Leaving me stranded
in stars.

The eve of mercy descends to a dark night,
Its shadows
removing the wounded Earth
of its sins.

It is tonight, the coming night of mercy,
Wherein the cold shepherds shiver
Unknowing, watchful.

I sigh, repeating to myself,
I don't know, I don't know.

My visage cuts cold and straight a face
Out of twinkling reminders,
And especially, that...new star.

I a small shepherd boy, I say to reflected
Stars. What do I know? The cold
Shivers down my spine.

Then with a flash the light
As bright as nova

And the sound of a thousand voices
Of praise, explode my reflection
Into a thousand messy fractals of color and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment