Thursday, November 6, 2014

i embraced Death--a poem


i embraced Death
A gaunt principal has won my respect.
He lurks in the schoolroom of Life,
Over the shoulders of each test
Watching with cold misted breath
As nervous students peer fearfully
From the corners of their eyes.

I have watched him on occasion,
Calling one student or another
To his office. Some never come back.
Only once has he ever looked at me,
With a curious expression, as if of love.

We made eye contact. I blinked. He nodded.
I looked away.

But after class, I came up to him (I can't believe
My nerve) and tapped him on the shoulder.
He turned and gazed down at me,
His blank white eyes and stretched visage
Sent shivers down my spine, but,

I took a deep breath,
and said,

Thank you for teaching me to live.
I now know each moment is precious, since
You will call me, as you must, as we all will be.
I will not resign my standing as a student here.
I will learn to love it here instead.

But, when you call,
I promise I will come willing, in surrender.

And his lips pursed and drew back, almost a smile,
Though he said nothing. Those blank eyes
seemed cruel. Then, of a sudden, I found myself
Tucked into a warm embrace, his firm arms
Tightening about my rib cage. I feel loved.

An awkward pause.

Then, he releases me, and without a word,
Floats down the hallway to his office.

And I think,
perhaps,
he is misunderstood

No comments:

Post a Comment